CHMM, CHMP, and CDGP candidates need to be familiar with relevant laws and regulations, relevant scientific principles and their application, and best management practices. The exams are not based on any single reference, but the following resources are among those that may be helpful to a candidate.
CANDIDATE HANDBOOK & EXAM SPECIFICATIONS
IHMM has developed a Candidate Handbook to describe all aspects of the certification process and assist candidates in preparing for the examinations, including application instructions. Be sure to review the handbook thoroughly.
IHMM credentialing programs and examinations are each based on an Exam Specifications "blueprint" that is the outcome of a Job Task Analysis. The blueprints govern the competency requirements for each credential and provide the outline of topics for the examinations. Examination questions are developed from the blueprints and applicants base their examination study on the blueprint. Click the credential acronym to review its associated Exam Specifications blueprint: CHMM, CDGP, CHMP.
Managing Hazardous Materials: A Definitive Text is a comprehensive publication covering the entire breadth and depth of the hazardous materials industry, published by IHMM
DANGEROUS GOODS REGULATIONS
The CDGP exam questions are derived from the following international standards and regulations. These publications may be used during the open-book CDGP exam.
- UN Recommendations on the Transport of Dangerous Goods – Model Regulation
- International Civil Aviation Organization’s Technical Instructions (ICAO TI)
- International Maritime Organization’s Dangerous Goods Code (IMDG Code)
- Dangerous Goods Regulations (IATA)
IHMM does not review, endorse or approve any training courses or any training providers. The following list is provided as a courtesy and candidates are responsible for determining the suitability and applicability of the training programs.
- Alliance for Hazardous Materials Professionals offers the Essentials of Hazardous Materials Management (EHMM) course at sites throughout the U.S. via its Chapter Network.
- Bowen EHS offers an interactive live online test preparation course for the CHMM.
- Environmental Management Institute offers a test preparation class for CHMM.
- Labeline International Ltd. offers a test preparation class for CDGP.
- Oklahoma State University offers test preparation classes for CHMM and CHMP
- Span International Training offers a test preparation class for CHMM
- Texas A&M Engineering Extension Service offers a test preparation class for CHMM.
- UCLA Southern California Education and Research Center offers test preparation classes for CHMM and CHMP
- W.E. Training Consulting offers a test preparation class for CDGP.
BOOKS AND SELF-STUDY MATERIALS
IHMM does not review, endorse, or approve any study materials or resources. It is the responsibility of the certificant to ensure any materials are relevant and applicable.
- Alliance of Hazardous Materials Professionals publishes the AHMP Hazardous Materials Management Desk Reference book.
- American Society of Safety Engineers (ASSE) offers a CHMM Examination Study Guide on CD.
- CRC Press publishes Hazardous Material (HAZMAT) Life Cycle Management: Corporate, Community, and Organizational Planning and Preparedness.
- Datachem Software offers a CHMM Prep program online, downloadable or on CD.
- Institute of Safety & Systems Management offers an online CHMM exam prep class.
- Lion Technology Inc. offers training resources in HAZMAT topics as well as dangerous goods shipper training.
- Span International Training offers a workbook and online, self-paced test preparation class for CHMM.
Additional resources may be obtained from these organizations.
- Alliance for Hazardous Materials Professionals
- American Industrial Hygiene Association
- Council for the Safe Transportation of Hazardous Articles
- Dangerous Goods Trainers Association
- National Fire Protection Association
- North American Hazardous Materials Management Association