Please find below several articles and opinion pieces related to legislation and other initiatives that is of interest to IHMM certificants as we are a part of PCC. In particular, please note the positive editorial published earlier this week by the Richmond Times-Dispatch on the federal legislation we helped to draft that would allow individuals to use funds in 529 savings plans to cover the costs associated with obtaining or maintaining a credential. The editorial specifically mentions the PCC’s endorsement of the bill. We look forward to utilizing this positive coverage in support of our efforts to advance the bill.News Coverage
- Florida SB 1336 (proposed) would preempt local governments from requiring occupational licenses that are not mandated by the state.
- Statehouse Proposed Bill to Preempt Local Professional Licensing Requirements —https://www.wcjb.com/content/news/Proposed-bill-to-preempt-local--566611691.html
- Keith Perry bill Looks to Preempt Local Occupational Licensing Requirements — https://floridapolitics.com/archives/314465-perry-preempt-occupational-licensing
- Pennsylvania HB 1477 (passed) requires licensing boards to take an individualized approach to denying certification to applicants with criminal records.
- PA House Joins Senate in Overwhelmingly Passing Bill to Help Ex-Convicts Get Professional Licenses — https://www.wesa.fm/post/pa-house-joins-senate-overwhelmingly-passing-bill-help-ex-convicts-get-professional-licenses#stream/0
- House Democratic Whip Applauds Passage of Licensure System Bill — https://pennbizreport.com/news/15023-house-democratic-whip-applauds-passage-of-licensure-system-bill/
- Freedom to Invest in Tomorrow’s Workforce Act (HR 5339) (introduced in House) would expand 529 education savings accounts to cover professional certification and credentialing programs.
- New Bill Would Expand 529 Savings Accounts to Cover Professional Certification — https://associationsnow.com/2019/12/new-bill-would-expand-529-savings-accounts-to-cover-professional-certification/
- Virginia Governor Northam Proposes Making Community College Free for Some Job-Seekers in Virginia — Gov. Northam says the program, contained in his 2020 budget, would cover professional certification/training https://www.washingtonpost.com/local/education/gov-northam-proposes-making-community-college-free-for-some-job-seekers-in-virginia/2019/12/12/8f2a25fa-1cdc-11ea-8d58-5ac3600967a1_story.html
- H.R. 5339: The Richmond Times-Dispatch commends Reps. Abigail Spanberger (D-VA) and Rob Wittman (R-VA), for introducing the Freedom to Invest in Tomorrow’s Workforce Act. The editorial, published on January 7, 2020, identifies the PCC as having endorsed the legislation. See below for the full text of the article. – https://www.richmond.com/opinion/editorial/editorial-bill-would-allow-s-plans-to-pay-for-vocational/article_263ff000-c62b-5e91-8dcb-57e785580238.html
- H.R. 5339: The Fredericksburg Free Lance-Start, in an editorial highlighting the need for additional funding for education and vocational training, praises the introduction of the Freedom to Invest in Tomorrow’s Workforce Act by Reps. Spanberger and Wittman – https://www.fredericksburg.com/opinion/editorials/editorial-education-initiatives-offer-brighter-future/article_66c18e04-320c-552b-ab4b-93944b5334df.html