Certified Dangerous Goods Professional (CDGP®)
IHMM's CDGP credential recognizes expertise in dealing with the safe, secure, and compliant transportation of dangerous goods internationally under the model regulations published by the United Nations, International Maritime Organization, International Civil Aviation Organization, and International Air Transport Association. The CDGP is an expert with best practices as well as regulations, as established by the UN Recommendations on the Transport of Dangerous Goods, the International Civil Aviation Organization’s Technical Instructions (ICAO TI), the International Air Transport Association's Dangerous Goods Regulations (IATA DGR), and the International Maritime Organization’s Dangerous Goods Code (IMDG Code). The CDGP is an unbiased verification that a company employs a global expert, that the CDGP can help the employer demonstrate to suppliers, customers, and enforcement agencies that they excel at regulatory compliance and safety.
All candidates must meet one prerequisite to sit for the CDGP examination:
- Minimum of five years of relevant experience in a field related to dangerous goods transportation.
All applications require a non-refundable $175 application fee and third-party employment verification. Applications to take IHMM examinations expire 12 months from the date your application is approved. There is a $360 examination fee payable at the time you are ready to take the exam. Should you not pass on your first attempt, the exam retake fee is $150.
You must register for and complete the examination within the allotted 12-month period, or you will have to start over as a new candidate, and meet the requirements that are in effect at that time.
Candidates must demonstrate through experience and examination, that they have the knowledge and skills appropriate for dealing with the transportation and security of hazardous materials/dangerous goods using the following regulations:
- UN Recommendations on the Transport of Dangerous Goods – Model Regulation, 20th Edition
- International Civil Aviation Organization’s Technical Instructions (ICAO TI), 2017 - 2018 Edition
- International Maritime Organization’s Dangerous Goods Code (IMDG Code), 2016 - 2018 38th Edition
- International Air Transport Association's Dangerous Goods Regulations (IATA DGR), 59th Edition or newer may be used in conjunction with or in lieu of the ICOA TI.
Please view or download the Candidate Handbook for additional information.
Application and Testing Information
- The CDGP examination is open-book (books can be tabbed). Henceforth, the four books permitted into the exam room may have highlighting and/or writing in them since many Dangerous Good Professionals use these books regularly in their jobs. Please note, however, that the CDGP exam candidates can no longer bring writing materials into the exam room, nor will they be provided with scrap paper.
- Only the texts listed above are permitted.
- All examinations are held through the proctored Kryterion HOST® network, at over 900 computer-testing locations world-wide.
- The CDGP examinations are to be completed in 3.5 hours using an open book examination format.
- All applications require a non-refundable $175 application fee paid online using a credit card.
- All applicants require an online application that includes work history detail and third-party employment verification.
- The CDGP examination consists of 100 multiple choice questions based on the following blueprint.
- IHMM examinations are available in English only. The use of translators or translation materials during the examination is not permitted.
- Other IHMM credential fees will apply
Questions regarding the application or examination process? Please contact us at [email protected]